Prep Time: 15 minutes | Cook Time: 1 hour 20 minutes| Total Time: 1 hour 35 minutes
For the Caramelized Onions:
- 6 small yellow onions, cut into ½-cm thick slices
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
For the Sandwiches:
- 6 Portofino Potato Buns, sliced open like hamburger buns
- 12 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 12 slices Red Barn Market Old Fashioned Ham
- 6 slices Red Barn Market Double Smoked Maple Bacon
- 1 ½ cups Red Barn Market Smoked Edam Cheese
- 3 large garlic pickles, sliced into ½-cm thick rounds
For the Butter Sauce & Garnish:
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon white sesame seeds, for garnish
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds, for garnish
To Prepare the Bacon & Caramelized Onions:
- Begin by cooking the bacon. Add the bacon strips to a hot pan over medium-high heat. Cook the bacon for 3-4 minutes per side, or until crisp. Remove the bacon from the pan and drain on a paper towel. Set aside to cool.
- Drain all but 1 tablespoon of bacon fat from the pan and heat again over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the sliced onions. Cook the onions over medium-high heat for 10 minutes, stirring often, to allow the onions to begin softening. Once slightly softened, reduce the heat to medium-low, add the salt, and slowly cook the onions, stirring occasionally, until brown. This process should take about 45 minutes.
- Once the onions have turned brown and are soft, add the dark brown sugar and balsamic vinegar and mix to combine. Remove from the heat and set aside.
To Assemble the Sandwiches:
- Slice the potato buns in half, similar to how you would prepare a hamburger bun. Open the buns and spread 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard on the top and bottom half of each of the buns.
- Place the bottom buns into a 9×13 inch baking dish. If they touch in the baking dish, that is fine, just ensure they do not overlap.
- Add 2 slices of ham to each of the bottom buns.
- Add 1 piece of bacon on top of the ham, folding or tearing the strip of bacon to fit on each bun.
- Place the caramelized onions on top of the bacon, dividing them evenly across all the buns.
- Top each sandwich with ¼ cup of smoked Edam cheese and 3-4 rounds of pickles.
- Place the top bun on top of the sandwiches.
To Make the Butter Sauce & To Bake:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine the melted butter, sea salt, and garlic powder in a small bowl. Use a pastry brush to brush the butter mixture evenly over the top of potato buns. This will allow the tops to get golden brown.
- Sprinkle the black and white sesame seeds evenly across the top of the buns.
- Place the sandwiches in the center of the oven to bake for 20-25 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes in the baking dish before serving. Enjoy!
- You can prepare the caramelized onions up to 3 days in advance of making this recipe. Simply store in a container in the refrigerator until ready to use in the sandwiches.