Prep Time: 30 minutes | Cook Time: 35 minutes | Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- 2 medium Yukon gold potato, whole, washed, unpeeled (350 grams)
- Water, for boiling
- 3 slices Red Barn Classic Bacon, diced
- ½ cup leeks, finely chopped (white part only)
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg, for garnish
- Place the whole, washed, unpeeled potatoes into a small pot. Fill the pot with enough water to cover the potatoes by 1-inch. Place the pot on the stove and bring to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, reduce the heat to medium and boil the potatoes for 10 minutes. This will partially cook the potatoes and make the rösti easier to cook.
- After 10 minutes, remove the potatoes from the pot and rinse under cold water. Fill a large bowl with cold water and place the potatoes inside the cold water to cool. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, add the diced bacon to a medium cast-iron frying pan. Cook the bacon over medium heat for 5-6 minutes, stirring often, until crisp. Remove the bacon from the pan and drain on a paper towel.
- Drain all but 1 teaspoon of the bacon fat from the pan and add the chopped leeks. Cook, stirring often, over medium heat until the leeks have softened and just begin to turn golden brown, about 2-3 minutes. Remove the leeks from the pan and set aside.
- Remove the potatoes from the cold water and peel off the skins. The skins should come off just by pinching them between your fingers. Once peeled, grate the potatoes on a box grater. Gently squeeze the potatoes between your hands to drain any excess water.
- Add the grated potatoes, half the cooked bacon, half the cooked leeks, as well as the salt and pepper to the bowl. Mix to combine.
- Heat the same cast-iron pan over medium-high heat. Once hot, add 2-3 tablespoons of butter to the pan, followed by the potato mixture. Use a spatula to form the potatoes into a round disc, approximately 1.5-cm thick.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook the rösti for 5-6 minutes or until golden brown. Once golden, gently slide the rösti onto a cutting board or plate, then flip it back into the pan. Add 2-3 more tablespoons of butter around the edges and cook for another 5 minutes until the second slide is golden brown.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Remove the rösti from the stove and transfer it in the skillet to the oven. Bake for 10 minutes. This will help crisp up the rösti for serving.
- While the rösti is baking, fry the egg for garnish. Set aside.
- To serve, remove the rösti from the oven and top with the fried egg and the remaining leeks and bacon. Serve immediately and enjoy!
- To make the rösti extra crispy, boil the potatoes and refrigerate overnight. The following day, peel and grate the potatoes for the recipe. This allows more water to release from the potatoes.
- It is important that you use a well-seasoned cast-iron pan, or a non-stick pan for this recipe. If you use a non-stick pan, transfer the rösti to a parchment lined baking tray before baking in the oven.