Prep Time: 15 minutes | Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes. | Total Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
For the Soup:
- 5 pounds pumpkin pie pumpkin, skin on, cut into 1-inch-thick wedges
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 6 large sage leaves, roughly chopped, plus more for garnish
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- ½ cup coconut milk
- Pumpkin seeds, for garnish
For the Grilled Cheese (Makes 2 sandwiches):
- 4 slices Portofino Sourdough bread
- 2/3 cup Red Barn Market Smoked Aged Cheddar, grated
- 2 tablespoons butter
For the Soup:
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Arrange the pumpkin wedges onto the baking sheet and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of sea salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Toss to coat all sides of the pumpkin with the salt, pepper and olive oil. Bake in the center of the oven for 1 hour, flipping the pumpkin wedges halfway through cooking,
- Once the pumpkin is roasted, remove from the oven and let cool completely. Once cooled, remove the skin from the pumpkin wedges. The skin should just peel right off.
- Next, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to a large pot over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the garlic and fry for 30 seconds, or until fragrant.
- Add in the peeled pumpkin followed by the vegetable stock, sage leaves, maple syrup and cayenne pepper. Bring the soup to a boil, then cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Once the soup has cooked for 30 minutes, use an immersion blender (or high-speed blender) to puree the soup until it is smooth.
- Stir in the coconut milk and served garnished with pumpkin seeds and a few sage leaves.
For the Grilled Cheese:
- Heat a small frying pan over medium-high heat.
- While the pan is warming up, add 1/2 tablespoon of butter to one side of each slice of bread. Spread it out with a butter knife.
- Add 1/3 cup of grated cheese to the unbuttered side of the bread, and top with the other slice of bread so that the butter side is facing out.
- Carefully place the grilled cheese in the pan and fry for 2-3 minutes per side, or until golden brown and the cheese is melted. Enjoy!
- If you are making the soup in a crockpot, add the roasted pumpkin and all the other ingredients to the crock pot. Cook on low heat for 4 hours before pureeing and serving.