July 12, 2021
Prep Time: 30 minutes | Cook Time: 50 minutes | Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
For the Dough:
- 1 ¼ cupall-purpose flour, plus ¼ cup for rolling out the dough
- 2 tablespoons granulated white sugar
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter,cubed and cold
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1tablespoon lemon juice
- 3tablespoons cold water
For the Cherry Filling:
- 4 cups fresh cherries (about 600 grams), pitted and halved
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup granulated white sugar
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
For the Egg Wash & Sugar Topping:
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon granulated white sugar
- Begin by preparing the pie dough. Add the flour, sugar and salt into a large mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Add the vegetable oil and cubes of butter into the bowl. Working quickly, cut the butter into the dough until the butter becomes the size of peas. Add the lemon juice and water then mix just until the dough comes together.
- Dump the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. Use your hands to form the dough into a large disc and wrap with plastic wrap. Chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Next make the cherry filling. Add cherries, white sugar, brown sugar and ¼ cup of water to a pot. Simmer over medium-high heat until cherries have softened, and a sauce is beginning to form, about 10 minutes.
- Mix the cornstarch with the remaining ¼ cup of water until there are no lumps. Slowly add the cornstarch mixture to the cherry mixture and stir to combine. Let the mixture cook for an additional minute, or until the filling has become thick and appears glossy.
- Remove from the heat and add the vanilla and almond extract. Mix to combine then place in the refrigerator to cool completely.
To Bake the Galette:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Remove the pie dough from the fridge and let sit at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle some flour onto a clean work surface and use a rolling pin to roll out the dough. Make sure to keep the dough in a large round shape, aiming for a thickness of 3-4 millimeters.
- Roll the dough up onto the rolling pin and transfer to the parchment-lined baking sheet. Unroll the dough so that it is in the center of the baking sheet.
- Place the cold cherry filling in the center of the dough and spread it out into a circle. Make sure to leave at least a 2-inch border around all the sides.
- Next, fold the edges of the dough towards the center, making sure to leave some of the cherry filling exposed in the middle. Repeat this all the way around the galette.
- Make the egg wash by combining the egg and milk in a small bowl and use a pastry brush to coat the dough on top of the galette. Sprinkle the white sugar evenly on top of the crust.
- Bake the galette for 40 minutes in the center of the oven, turning halfway to ensure even browning. Once cooked, remove from the oven and let cool on the pan for at least 10 minutes. Serve warm and enjoy!
- You can make the pie dough and cherry filling a day in advance and keep it in the refrigerator until you are ready to assemble and bake.
Recipe by: SEASON & SERVE (A FOOD BLOG FOR ALL SEASONS)
Follow Season & Serve on INSTAGRAM