September 30, 2019
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 1 Hour 20 minutes
Total: 1 Hour 30 Minutes
- 1/2 cups uncooked rice or quinoa
- 2 tbsp.extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1medium onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp. San Remo tomato paste
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 (14.5-oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 bell peppers, tops and cores removed
- 1 c. shredded Monterey jack or Red Barn’s Own Smoked Jalapeño Monterey
- 1 1/2 tsp chili peppers
- Freshly chopped parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a small saucepan, prepare rice according to package instructions. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Cook onion until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomato paste and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute more. Add ground turkey and cook, breaking up meat with a spoon, until no longer pink, 6 minutes.
- Stir in cooked rice and diced tomatoes. Season with oregano, salt, and pepper. Let simmer until liquid has reduced slightly, about 5 minutes. Wash Peppers, cut a hole around the stem and remove. Scoop out seeds.
- Place peppers cut side-up in a baking dish and drizzle with oil. Spoon turkey mixture into each pepper then cover baking dish with foil.
- Bake until peppers are tender, about 30 minutes. Uncover and top with Monterey Jack. Cake until cheese is melted and browned 10 minutes more.
- Garnish with parsley before serving.