April 4, 2022
Servings: 10 | Prep Time: 10 min | Cook Time: 50 min | Total Time: 1 hr
- 1 tsp coconut oil, or canola
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1/4 cup onion, minced
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 15.5 oz can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 13.5 oz can, 1 3/4 cups light coconut milk
- 1 whole scotch bonnet hot pepper, not chopped
- In a medium heavy saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; add garlic, scallion, onion and thyme.
- Sauté a few minutes, then add rice, beans and stir.
- Add the coconut milk, water, salt and fresh pepper and place the whole scotch bonnet pepper in the pot, stir to combine and bring to a boil.
- Remove and discard the hot pepper and continue to cook the rice until almost all the liquid is absorbed and just skims the top.
- Cover; reduce heat to low; simmer for 25 minutes.
- Remove from heat and keep covered for 10 additional minutes to allow the steam to finish cooking the rice (do not be tempted to lift the lid before that).
- Serve hot.
Makes 7 1/2 cup