September 6, 2019
Prep time: 20 min
Total time: 80 min
- ½ cup melted butter or vegetable oil, plus a little more for greasing pan
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup pecan halves, chopped
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ½ cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 4 soft, very ripe, darkly speckled bananas, mashed (about 1 1/2 cups)
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Lightly butter one 9-by-5-inch loaf pan. (Optional: Line ban with a piece of wax paper after buttering pan to easily remove the loaf after it has been baked and cooled)
- Whisk together the flour, pecans, granulated sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon salt and nutmeg in a large bowl. Whisk together the eggs, melted butter, sour cream, brown sugar and vanilla in a medium bowl; stir in the mashed bananas. Fold the banana mixture into the flour mixture until just combined (it’s OK if there are some lumps).
- Pour the batter into the buttered pan and lightly tap the pan on the counter to evenly distribute the batter. Bake until browned and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out completely clean, about 1 hour. Let the bread cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then turn out onto a rack to cool completely.
Fold in 1/3 cup of Chocolate Chips into the batter for Chocolate Chip Banana Bread!