About Sodium Nitrite
Sodium Nitrite provides smoked meats with a lasting display of freshness and vibrancy. All products made at the Red Barn Market have controlled levels of nitrites to ensure consistency and safety for our consumers. The amount which is used in our Red Barn’s Own Smokehouse products, is below the government regulated amount. The Canadian Food Inspection Agency allows 200ppm (parts per million) of both nitrites and nitrates, Red Barn Market uses 190ppm.
There is greater risk involved with smoked and deli meats that do not contain any sodium nitrates or nitrites than those that do. Unfortunately, there is no other substitute in the world today that can do the same job as nitrites and nitrates do in combating botulism in our foods.
The Red Barn’s Own Smokehouse products which contain Nitrites are:
- All Smoked Linked Sausage – Swiss Farmer, Mennonite, Chorizo, Turkey Cajun, Kielbassa, Garlic Ham Ring, Smoked Turkey, Honey Garlic Turkey
- All Pepperoni – Regular, Hot, Turkey Regular, Turkey Honey Garlic, Candied Salmon, Jalapeno Cheddar
- Hams – Maple Ham, Old Fashioned Ham, Bone in, Dinner Ham, Minis, Ham Steaks
- All Salamis – Pizza, Turkey, Turkey Honey Garlic
- Franks – BBQ Beef, Owl Barn, Turkey
- Bacon – Double Smoked, Classic, Local, Back, Turkey Bacon
- Jerky – Pixie Sticks, Turkey Jerky
- Smokies – Jalapeno Cheddar, Bacon Cheddar, Turkey Mild Italian, Chicken Basil, Regular
- Montreal Smoked Beef
- Pork Hocks
- Turkey Drumsticks and Wings