Our Favourite Things for the Holidays
1. Red Barn’s Own Smoked Cheese – Our famous smoked cheese are a great addition to any party. Smoked in our own smokehouse, we have 4 varieties to enjoy. Start with our original Aged White Cheddar or try a light smoked Edam. We also have a creamy Gouda and for a bit of a kick, try our smoked Jalapeno Monterrey Jack. Pairs well with our Smoked Garlic Ham Ring or Pepperoni and a glass of wine.
2. Salt West Naturals Sea Salts – These sea salts are harvested from the waters off Sooke, BC. All of their salts are hand made and made in small batches to ensure quality. This winter, try their Salted Caramel Chocolate on top of a freshly baked cookies or brownies. Great as a topper on a specialty coffee or simply sprinkle on top of ice cream. A great stocking stuffer idea for the foodie in your family. Salt West Naturals
3. Metchosin Soap – These locally made soaps both smell and look beautiful. They are vegetable based with no animal products, and use local plant material, olive oil and natural clay. This winter try their Christmas or Old Fashioned Christmas scents. Available at Red Barn Mattick’s Farm and Latoria Walk. Metchosin Soap Works
4. Red Barn’s Own Pepperoni – Made in our Vanalman Smokehouse, our pepperoni are sure to please. Simply made with just meat and spices, the flavours shine through. We make Regular and Hot as well as regular Turkey and the ever favourite Honey Garlic Pepperoni, all of which are gluten free. Teriyaki is another crowd pleaser with a slice of cheese and artisan crackers.
5. Dalla Terra Antipasto – Garden, Mediterranean, or Red Pepper. We love these gourmet antipastos on crostini with freshly grated mozzarella cheese. Change up your pasta with a mediterranean antipasto and a drizzle of olive oil or spread on hearty artisan breads.
6. Portofino Bakery Shortbread – We look forward to these cookies every year. Made with butter like they should be, we are loving Portofino Bakery‘s Almond Shortbread this holiday season. New this year is their Candy Cane shortbread with crushed candy canes mixed right in. Their Cranberry with White Chocolate Shortbread makes a gift and if you are celiac, there is a gluten free variety just for you.
7. La Lattaia Dutch Cheese – A fine dutch cheese that has been aged 5 months. Pair this cheese with a light tasting fruity wine that compliments the fact the cheese is lighter than a classic Gouda.
8. Egg Nog – Rich and creamy, enjoy Dairyland’s Classic Egg Nog spiced with cinnamon and nutmeg or add a splash of rum this Christmas season. Try your hand at baking with Egg Nog this year and make Egg Nog French Toast, Cinnamon Buns, Fudge or even Snickerdoodles. Egg Nog Recipes
9. Mitchell’s Soups, Chili, Crumbles & Salads – Hand made in small batches and produced in Cowichan Bay, Mitchell’s Soup Co. ensures all their recipes, from delicious desserts, dahl and rice dishes, to their hearty homemade soups and chilis, are perfect, each and every time. With over 20 recipes to choose from, there’s something for everyone. Our favourite at the moment is their delcious Thai Coconut Prawn mix. Discover Mitchell’s Soups
10. Portofino Bakery Stollen – Portofino Bakery makes both a regular and gluten free Stollen bread this time of year. Their stollen is made with dried fruit and marzipan then topped off with a dusting of powdered sugar. It is best served on its own or toasted with a bit of butter and a hot cup of tea.